Sunday 14 July 2013

Give me something SWEET to eat!

As you know, I am doing a raw food detox...

Friday morning however I nearly gave in to cooked foods and ate out.  After breakfast, which was a green smoothie, I got a headache.  It felt like someone gently squeezing. Like you would squeeze a cantaloupe, but this squeezing would last over an hour!  This was occurring while I was at work picking up the fresh produce from the market area.  Near the market area, there is a Lebanese place I would ALWAYS eat at! They got chicken cooked with rice and almonds, fish and veggies, paella with lots of shrimp, etc.!  It all sounds good, but it is in some serious oil! I mean, greasy!

Once I got the headache my mind/body was just craving INTENSELY something cooked! Something from that place!  I drove right to the store and sat in the car.  I downed a half a litre of water and asked myself what the hell was I about to do!  This food was what caused me to get overweight and sick in the first place!  I am on meds for hypertension, so with one of the meds, I need to urinate quite frequently after taking it in the morning.   The lil' fat evil voice in my head said, ''Well, just go in and use the washroom.'' 

To which I replied, ''Yeah right! I know what is going to happen! I'm gonna go in there and YOU will start begging me for something to eat!'' (Yes, I speak to myself when alone!) 

I closed my eyes and thought about the taste and texture of the food I would buy from there.  The warm soft chicken, surrounded by rice and tasty crunchy roasted almonds! Hmmm!

Then, I thought of how I feel after eating it.  The warm oil, coating my throat.  Even water cannot wash it down! The lack of energy I feel after eating it. It seriously makes me physically tired!  So I started up the car and drove off before my lil' fat inner demon could try to convince me again! 

That was the morning! Now for the afternoon!  Well, my lil' inner fat demon was really after me now! After lunch my body was really craving sweet!  I drove past the bakery, ice-cream shop yelling at my inner demon to stop telling me to turn in and get something!  When I went home, I was watering the garden with my daughter and she was picking raspberries.  I took one, and it was the SWEETEST thing I ate in a long time! Usually I never eat raspberries, but this one was so good! 

Now, as for what I noticed.

For the morning and the cooked food craving during the headache.  I believe that since I started the detox, that this was a symptom of the detox and the fat cells crying out for something to hold on to.  Also, my memory cells remember that whenever in pain or discomfort, I was raised with food as a remedy. 

For the afternoon and the sweet craving, maybe it was my fat cells crying out to me to compensate for 'being good' in the morning and not eating out.  But I was more surprised at how I just savoured the raspberry!  To me, it was the best raspberry ever! AND my sweet craving subdued.  It did not go away completely, but enough so that I did not have to yell at my inner demon to shut-up! 

Anyhow, my sweet craving was fulfilled on Saturday when my lovely wife make a completely raw foods style zucchini cake complete with raw icing for my birthday.  It was gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free BUT so tasty my kids and parents loved it! 

Thanks honey!

4 comments:

  1. Just added you to my ddpyoga blogroll :)
    http://bodyrebooted.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina, thanks for adding me to your amazing site!

      Delete
  2. Hi Brandon,

    I'm new to the DDPY scene but added you to my blogroll because we're all in this together and I need to know others are having the same challenges I am! I did a raw food detox once...nothing but raw plant food for like 3 weeks. I lost 10 or 12 pounds which was nice but I fantasized about fried chicken the whole time and it took me about 5 minutes to regain once I had cooked food again. I kind of overate because I felt deprived. I think it's great that you're trying things. Maybe this will be the right thing. But if it's not, don't beat yourself up. If deprivation worked we'd be a nation of skinny people. The way you describe missing real food you sound deprived. I'm not in a position to give advice because I'm struggling too. But I want to reach out to you because you seem to be suffering. How about just following DDP's food plan? Get rid of the gluten and dairy and eat lots of veggies. Anyway, no disrespect intended if you really feel strongly about the raw food detox. I support you in whatever you choose to do toward making yourself healthy!

    Come visit me at my blog and say hi sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lanie,

      Thank you for adding me to your blogroll, as soon as I figure out how to create a blogroll I will add you as well. No worries, no disrespect felt. lol. I will be making a post tomorrow evening about my time this past weekend in L.A. at the Kyle Cease event. Google his name and check it out. It was really powerful! And I loved your blog too!

      Delete